Incident Reports

No end to Rautahat tension as protestors boycott talks


 The District Administration Office and protestors are beginning talks in Gaur this evening. Central Regional Administator Ram Kumar Acharya, Nepal Police DIG Ganesh Rai and Armed Police Force AIG Krishna Kumar Tamang have arrived in Gaur to attend the talks. --- RAUTAHAT: Tension running high in Rautahat district headquarters Gaur for last five days could not find an end on Sunday also as the purported talks between protestors and local administration could not take place. Protestors led by Rautahat district chapter of the Federation of Nepalese Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FNCCI) and the District Administration Office (DAO) had agreed to resume talks at 10 am today after the dialogues begun last night witnessed positive developments toward negotiations. However, the agitators did not attend the talks today, the administration said. FNCCI, in collaboration with various political parties and civil society organisations, has been imposing an indefinite general strike in the town since Wednesday demanding that the government scrap its decision to open land revenue and survey service centres in Chandranigahapur of the district. Though the government revoked the decision on Friday, protestors have continued demonstrations putting forth other demands including status of martyr to a person who died after being hit by a police van on Friday. Kanthamani Jaisawal, FNCCI district president and coordinator of the struggle committee, said they will not join talks until the government expresses a commitment to meet its seven demands. The fresh demand list includes martyr's status to the deceased Ram Aashish Thakur, employment to a member of his family and free treatment to persons injured in recent protests, among others. Around 120 persons including security personnel and protestors were injured in clashes ensued between them in last five days. The DAO had imposed an indefinite curfew in Gaur since 2 pm yesterday. It, however, had lifted the restriction from 4 am today to ease the talks. Government and private offices, enterprises and academic institutions remained closed in the town for the consecutive fifth day. Traffic was also obstructed. Meanwhile, a group of students in Chandranigahapur staged a protest on Sunday demanding that the government implement its earlier decision to establish service centres in their area.